Girls Combat Exploratory Camp at the OTC hosted by Wrestle Like A Girl, Inc. and Pikes Peak YMCA
- Date: June 17, 2017
- Cost: $35/day including lunch
Women have traditionally been under represented as athletes, coaches, officials and board members of the Olympic Combats Sports (Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Karate, Taekwondo). The International Olympic Committee and the International Federations representing these sports have added new sport disciplines to their sports programs that provide more competition opportunities for women.
In order to provide increased opportunities for females in Colorado Springs (Olympic City USA), build positive community relations with youth organizations and provide a positive outlet for all female youth, especially underserved and under-represented, the National Governing Bodies for the sports of Boxing, Judo, Karate, Taekwondo and Wrestling are interested in hosting 1-Day Commuter Combat Camp at the Olympic Training Center. This event will combine a sport component, educational and life skills curriculum.
- Educate female athletes to the opportunities available in combat sports for women.
- Recruit female athletes with the potential for success to join Combat Sports Programs.
- Support females in developing their mental skills in sport that can be applied to life; develop increased resiliency and awareness for suicide and bullying prevention, body image challenges, confidence, self-esteem and team work.
- Increase local ties with the community, serve to empower females locally to increase their awareness of combat sports, participation and inclusion in local opportunities/programs.
- The YMCA, NGB’s and local at-risk youth programs will provide females who can attend (100 girls in total)
Open to 100 girls (target YMCA, Atlas Prep., Fort Carson Youth Programs)
Cost: $35/including lunch
Date: June 17, 2017
- Wrestle Like A Girl
- City of Colorado Springs
- Combat Sports NGBs
- United States Olympic Committee
- Sport and Championship skill/lifestyle development:
- Wrestling – Nutrition and hydration
- Judo – Mental Performance: Anxiety control, goal setting, and imagery
- TKD- Bully prevention and team building
- Boxing – Empowerment: Self-confidence, self-esteem and resiliency
- Karate- Responsibilities and decision-making skills
|Combat Commuter Exploratory Sports Camp||Group A- 20:2 Athlete to coach ratio||Group B 20:2 Athlete to coach ratio||Group C 20:2 Athlete to coach ratio||Group D 20:2 Athlete to coach ratio||Group E 20:2 Athlete to coach ratio|
|4:00-5:00pm||Open forum Q/A with athletes and camp attendees (West Wing or Sports Center 1)|
- Sally Roberts, WLAG
- Lindsey Leiker, YMCA
YMCA will provide 10 SafeSport volunteers to each group, watching them both in session and while chaperoning attendees from one station to the next.